Friday, September 13, 2019

Building Community

As I reflect on my teaching, it's become increasingly clear just how important a sense of community is.  When I think about all of the best classes I've been in, both as a teacher or as a student, they were the classes with the strongest community.  Times when everyone in the room felt happy to be there, engaged in what was happening, and genuinely interested in success.

This concept goes beyond the classroom, too.  I love the community I've found at my favorite conference, the American Classical League Summer Institute.  I have made incredible friendships that have given me strength and support as I've continued to grow as a teacher and person.

So I wanted to dedicate a post to the wonderful friends and colleagues who have helped me along the way to becoming the teacher I am now.  Bob Patrick has always been a voice of caring and support, and I try my best to live up to his example.  Keith Toda continues to share incredible resources and detailed explanations on how he runs his class.  Mariam Patrick's Twitter threads are thought-provoking yet lighthearted - perfect for when you have a few minutes during your off period and need a little inspiration.  Chris Buczek cares so much about his students and his content; his passion is contagious.  John Bracey's challenge to abolish the traditional concept of "rigor" in favor of an empathetic classroom in which all learners can feel successful inspires me daily.  Rachel Ash's creativity and thoughtfulness help me stay joyfully grounded.  Justin Slocum Bailey's practical ideas, activities, and lessons are readily-applicable to my class and have really helped me to grow more confident in my ability to do this whole CI thing- to say nothing of his constant support and encouragement of me.  Michelle Rahmalo graciously sat down with me and walked me through how she teaches 5th and 6th grades when I was transitioning to these grade levels AND was a brand new mom.  Her blueprint was essential to my curriculum but also my well-being.  Kevin Ballestrini, Lindsay Sears, and Mark Pearsall have given scores of excellent sessions, workshops, and trainings on implementing standards, designing intentional, culturally-relevant curricula, and using tiered readings to helps students engage with challenging texts. In addition, they've shared so many resources and created some really great games for students to use the language.  Lastly, Traci Miller and Erika Shupe are two of the most fun people I've ever met.  In addition to giving thoughtful, engaging presentations, both women are great about making you feel included and welcome.  People who can make you feel like you've been friends for years even if you've only known each other briefly are a real blessing.

These are just a few of the many amazing, kind, supportive and genuinely lovely people I've been lucky enough to know and learn from.  It can be so easy to get wrapped up in the daily grind of school and life, but I hope you all know how thankful I am to know you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Building Community

As I reflect on my teaching, it's become increasingly clear just how important a sense of community is.  When I think about all of the b...